Guide on enhancing vocabulary of your children
Vocabulary is defined as the body or set of words used in a particular language and having an admirable vocabulary instantly adds a great charm to your personality. To succeed in and out of the academic circle of school, children need to develop a commendable vocabulary and it is important that parents do their bit in this. The different set of words that children use and understand commonly referred to as ‘word bank’ can help them in various spheres of life. Various studies conducted have confirmed that children who have better knowledge of words have a better chance of excelling in school and the one’s lacking in vocabulary struggle through out school and also have fairly high chances of mental health problems as adults.
Here are 5 simple things that you can do to enhance your children’s vocabulary.
- Converse regularly: When kids hear new words and the old words regularly, they are registered in their brain and they understand their usage in every-day conversations. So, it is very important to have conversations with your kids regularly in the language you want them to master in.
- Encourage them to read more: Various studies and a specific study conducted by Institute of Education has confirmed that childhood reading habits affect vocabulary development later on. Children learn new words while reading and the reading habits continue in adults and help those acquiring new words and developing a good vocabulary in adulthood.
- Regulate the type of content your children read: It has been found that quality of the reading material greatly influences the vocabulary. The students who read knowledgeable books and newspapers regularly fared well in vocabulary tests, but students who read stuff like tabloid newspapers didn’t perform well in such tests.
- Use the technique of ‘See it, Say it and write it’: When children come across a new word while reading or hearing it from you, make a point to spell it out to them, write it and make them do the same. It is understood that children will remember the word longer by this technique and put it to good use in conversations.
- Patiently correct your children mistakes: When you see your children making the same mistake in a particular word usage, try some different way to make them remember that word, it is important to stay calm and device a positive and fun way for children to remember various new words.
A strong vocabulary definitely foster a great advantage, it is associated with better understanding, communication and reading ability in adults. As parents, a great responsibility lies on your shoulders for overall development of your kid and investing time in developing a robust vocabulary is an imperative part of it. Try these simple hacks and prepared to be amazed with great speaking and writing skills of your child.
Author Name: Suhani Jain
“Visit Schoolgully.com to get in-depth information on schools and join the parent community!”http://www.blog.schoolgully.com/education/guide-enhancing-vocabulary-children/https://i1.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/vocab-kids-ftr.jpg?fit=1024%2C640https://i1.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/vocab-kids-ftr.jpg?resize=150%2C150EducationParentingSchool AgeChildren,parents,vocabularyVocabulary is defined as the body or set of words used in a particular language and having an admirable vocabulary instantly adds a great charm to your personality. To succeed in and out of the academic circle of school, children need to develop a commendable vocabulary and it is...Suhani JainSuhani Jain[email protected]AuthorSchoolgully