Parents’ role in developing a healthy sibling relationship
A healthy sibling relationship is what every parent dreams of, and they have a huge role to play in developing that sibling relationship. A central role in development of a child’s behavior, emotions and psychology is played by the sibling bond that they share. As parents there are certain things you can do to make your kids most longest and important relationship a happy and meaningful one. Many researchers have confirmed that a strong sibling relationship can foster higher satisfaction in one’s life and also lessen the chance of depression when going through a difficult phase in life. So, parents take note; work meticulously in developing that perfect sibling bond.
- Stop comparing – Children hate when they are compared to anyone else, and if it is a sibling they are being compared to, well it’s a start of sibling rivalry. So don’t compare your kids ability with each other and just compliment them on whatever it is they are good at.
- Make them a team– Giving them house chores together like cleaning the garden, doing the laundry, etc. would help them to develop a sense of cooperation and teamwork. Siblings see each other as partners in this case and learn to work together efficiently.
- Have quality ‘Family time’– Plan fun games and healthy talks for the whole family every day or at least thrice a week. Indulge happily in these tasks and give equal opportunity to your kids to speak their mind and ideas and teach them to appreciate their siblings’ ideas too.
- Don’t intervene between fights– Sibling fights are normal, but they can turn into rivalry if parents intervene and support any one of the kids. Stay out of their fights and let them solve their issues on their own.
- Don’t show Favoritism– Treat your kids fairly; nothing affects a child more than the thought of being loved less by their parent. So don’t differentiate in levels of praise, affection, and discipline for the siblings.
- Take occasional family trips– Trips provide a great chance for siblings to bond and see each other beyond as friends. Make them do fun activities together and they’ll start seeing each other as friends and would that would develop a sense of trust and love between siblings.
- Make them respect each other– Respect for each other feelings and space is important in any relationship, teach them to talk in a respectful tone, and care and understand their siblings thoughts and feelings.
Siblings find a forever friend in each other, in later stages of life they become pillars of strength to one another. It is duty of parents to spark that bond in early stages of their life so they can continue to maintain that bond later. Don’t worry, it’s not a mammoth task but it requires constant care and attention. A healthy family atmosphere would in itself develop a healthy sibling relationship.
Author: Suhani Jain
Visit Schoolgully.com to get indepth information on schools and join the parent community!http://www.blog.schoolgully.com/parenting/healthy-sibling-relationship/https://i2.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/unsplash1.jpg?fit=438%2C292https://i2.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/unsplash1.jpg?resize=150%2C150Parentingparenting,SiblingA healthy sibling relationship is what every parent dreams of, and they have a huge role to play in developing that sibling relationship. A central role in development of a child’s behavior, emotions and psychology is played by the sibling bond that they share. As parents there are certain...admin [email protected]AdministratorSchoolgully