Development of reading habits early in childhood
Books alone can lead to miracles if one knows how to perceive and understand them. Development of a deep connection between your child and books would help them to lead a better life. It is a well documented and researched topic that children who are readers from an early age have a broadened and knowledgeable mind- set. Living in an era of smart phones, it is becoming even more important to teach children about the benefits of reading books. There are some very simple tips which you should keep in mind right from the beginning to help your child become a voracious reader.
- The most effective way is to read in front of your child. Children tend to pick up the habits of their parents quite easily and their actions have a huge impact in their development. So let her /him see you read magazines, books, newspapers with great interest and enthusiasm and they will catch it too.
- Get illustrated books that are filled with vibrant colors, pictures, various diagrams and graphics. Children get attracted to them far more easily as compared to text. Starting directly from text books may bore children and they might develop an aversion to reading.
- Develop a routine to read daily with your kids. It is advisable to start reading aloud to kids and then eventually let them read and understand the text. Sit with your kid while he/she is reading and help them in pronouncing or deciphering a meaning of a specific word.
- Try creating a reading space in your house, where you and your kids can comfortably read. Keep in mind to have proper lighting and seating area in that space which provide a sense of relaxation.
- Once in a while, discuss about the books that your kids read. Ask them what they learnt from the book, tell them to recite the story and listen to it with patience and enthusiasm. Encourage them to learn new words and use them in everyday vocabulary.
- Buy new books for kids every month, having different genres. Children tend to lose interest in reading if each book conveys the message, so get them all kinds of books. Also, take your kid along while going to the bookstore, and let them chose what they want to read.
There are many advantages for a child to become an early reader. From developing vocabulary to increasing attention in kids they also find a lifelong friend in books. The goal is never to only achieve academic brilliance but to become a better human being, and books form the building blocks in this direction. So, it is not too late even now, go grab a book and start reading to your kid and observe and cherish the changes you’ll see!
Author Suhani Jain
Visit Schoolgully.com to get indepth information on schools and join the parent community!
http://www.blog.schoolgully.com/parenting/reading-habits/https://i1.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/reading-crockets.jpg?fit=635%2C330https://i1.wp.com/www.blog.schoolgully.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/reading-crockets.jpg?resize=150%2C150ParentingLearning,Reading,Reading HabitsBooks alone can lead to miracles if one knows how to perceive and understand them. Development of a deep connection between your child and books would help them to lead a better life. It is a well documented and researched topic that children who are readers from an early...admin [email protected]AdministratorSchoolgully